What does "I'm here for a good time, not a long time" mean?.

What does

The true meanings of this phrase from house parties to Tinder bios

You’ve probably seen the phrase “here for a good time, not a long time” plastered on dating app bios and social media, and even in a pop song or two. In a nutshell, “here for a good time, not a long time” means the person wants to have fun while they can without worrying too much about the future because life is short. We’re here to explain the meaning of this popular phrase in-depth (including what it means on dating apps), show you the best ways to use it, and offer similar phrases that tell others that you just want to have a good time.

Quick Definition of “Here for a good time, not a long time”

“Here for a good time, not a long time” means that the speaker wants to enjoy themselves with the short time they have in this life instead of worrying or fussing too much about the future. On dating apps, it means someone is probably only looking for a casual fling or hookup rather than a long-term relationship.

Steps

“Here for a Good Time, Not a Long Time” Meaning

1. This saying means that someone wants to enjoy life without worry.
    Google images This saying means that someone wants to enjoy life without worry.
    This saying means that someone wants to enjoy life without worry. Being “here for a good time” means that someone intends to have fun. The second half of the phrase, “not for a long time,” means that life is short, and so we should take full advantage of it.
    • The phrase also sometimes implies that someone wants to have fun, even if it puts their safety or well-being in danger, since the risk is worth the reward, and we all die someday, anyway. For example:
      • Person 1: “Why do you stay out late all the time? You always look so tired.”
        Person 2 “Because I’m here for a good time, not a long time.”

What does the phrase mean on dating apps?

1. In Tinder bios, it means the person is looking for casual flings or hookups.
    Google images In Tinder bios, it means the person is looking for casual flings or hookups.
    In Tinder bios, it means the person is looking for casual flings or hookups. When you see this phrase on dating apps like Bumble, Hinge, or Tinder, the person is usually saying that they’re not looking for a serious long-term relationship (hence, “not a long time”). Instead, they probably want something more carefree and temporary like a few casual dates, hookups, or maybe a friends-with-benefits situation.
    • They may also just be looking to flirt or chat and aren’t looking for anything serious.

Using “Here for a good time, not a long time”

1. Step 1 Say this when you do something reckless for the sake of enjoyment.
    Google images Step 1 Say this when you do something reckless for the sake of enjoyment.
    Say this when you do something reckless for the sake of enjoyment. Maybe you’re dancing on top of a table, or jumping out of a helicopter to ski down a mountain, or just eating one more cookie after you’ve already had enough. Say “I’m here for a good time, not a long time,” to explain that you want to have fun, even if there are potentially negative consequences.
    • “Yes, I know that jumping into a frozen lake is dangerous, but it looks fun, and I’m here for a good time, not a long time.”
  2. Step 2 Use the phrase to help others loosen up and enjoy themselves.
    Google images Step 2 Use the phrase to help others loosen up and enjoy themselves.
    Use the phrase to help others loosen up and enjoy themselves. Sometimes it’s good to remind other people that life is short, and if they don’t take the occasional opportunity to enjoy themselves, their life might pass them by. Tell them, “We’re here for a good time, not a long time,” to let them know you think they should lighten up.
    • Person 1: “There’s no way I’m going bungee jumping with you! What if I died?”
      Person 2: “You’re going to die someday anyway! We’re here for a good time, not a long time, so let’s have a good time.”
  3. Step 3 Use the phrase on dating apps to signal casual intentions.
    Google images Step 3 Use the phrase on dating apps to signal casual intentions.
    Use the phrase on dating apps to signal casual intentions. On apps like Tinder, Bumble, and others, you might add “Here for a good time, not a long time” to your bio to let others know that you’re not looking for anything serious, and would prefer more temporary or casual hangouts, hookups, or even a brief relationship, rather than a long-term commitment.
    • That said, the phrase is pretty common on dating apps, and might not set you apart from the crowd. Consider coming up with something new for a bio, or adding something to “here for a good time…” to make you stand out.

Similar Phrases

1. Step 1 “Live fast, die young.”
    Google images Step 1 “Live fast, die young.”
    “Live fast, die young.” This means the same as “Here for a good time, not a long time,” but with a more aggressive or direct connotation. When someone says this, they mean that they intend to get the most out of a short life, rather than live a long life.
    • “You could die at any moment anyway, so why not live fast and die young?”
  2. Step 2 “You only live once.”
    Google images Step 2 “You only live once.”
    “You only live once.” This also has a similar meaning to “here for a good time, not a long time.” Here, though, the speaker wants to enjoy their life, because they say they won’t get another, so they must take advantage of the one they have. The phrase is often abbreviated to “YOLO” and was popular in the mid-2000s.
    • “YOLO” is often used ironically to make fun of people who say it excessively, or to justify doing something someone knows they shouldn’t.
    • “Hold my drink while I ask out this girl. YOLO.”
  3. Step 3 FOMO
    Google images Step 3 FOMO
    FOMO FOMO stands for “fear of missing out” and is used to express a worry that if you don’t participate in something, you won’t have a fun experience that other people are having. It’s often used to motivate oneself to get out and do something they might not want to otherwise.
    • “I wasn’t going to go to the party, but the FOMO convinced me otherwise.”