5 reasons why a paper diary is better than an electronic one.

5 reasons why a paper diary is better than an electronic one

The paper does not run out at an inconvenient moment and gives room for creativity.

At the end of March this year (the height of my studies and work activities), I broke my dominant hand and was left without the ability to write. Naturally, the diary had to be put aside. This didn’t cancel a lot of things, but dealing with them without a glider and trackers became more difficult. Applications for organizing your life and taking notes have come to the rescue. I used them all April and, as soon as the cast was removed, I hurried to return to my pen and notepad. And here are the reasons why the paper diary defeated the electronic one.

1. It does not discharge or freeze

A banal but very important quality. If you have a busy schedule, spend a lot of time on the Internet or make frequent calls, you are probably familiar with the situation when your smartphone runs out of battery at the most inopportune time. This happens especially often in winter, when the battery cannot withstand a sharp change in temperature between the street and the room. In this case, it is much safer to store your to-do list, addresses and phone numbers on paper, because it does not have a battery.

2. It combines everything important

I searched and, unfortunately, did not find an application that would combine a calendar, a notepad for notes and task lists, and a habit tracker. There are separate applications for all this, and switching between them can be inconvenient and simply lazy.

Paper notebooks allow you to keep all the necessary notes in one notebook: manufacturers make special spreads with lines for tables, calendars and much more. If ready-made, lined planners aren't your thing, there's a Bullet Journal system that can help you create your ideal planner.

3. It develops creative thinking

You buy a notebook, and you have ample opportunities for its design. In apps, you can't change design elements you don't like (and if you can, it's probably only for a fee). On paper, you can change planning systems at least every week, draw, make thematic spreads, paste and save important photos.

Many paper journal enthusiasts also say that creative designs relax them and help them better understand their entries. And it’s always more pleasant to review and reread a beautifully designed text.

Bich Tran / pexels.com

Bich Tran / pexels.com

#thirty

Bich Tran / pexels.com

#4 / 0

Bich Tran / pexels.com

Bich Tran / pexels.com

4. It is good for health and memory

Psychologist Virginia Berninger of the University of Washington, for example, says that when you write by hand , you remember what you write better because you have to draw out each letter and number element by element. In this way, fine motor skills and memory are trained, logical thinking and speech are developed.

Neuroscientist Judy Willis explains in her article: “The practice of writing can enhance the brain's ability to consume, process, store, and retrieve information. It helps increase concentration, improves long-term memory, and gives the brain time to think.”

5. It costs much less

Basically, all you need to keep a paper planner is a pen and a notebook. Of course, you can buy stickers, markers and other stationery, but this is already optional. The notebook lasts at least six months, and you only have to buy a pen or refills. In the case of many applications, the necessary functions are available only through a monthly subscription. This can be a problem for schoolchildren and students.

Of course, everyone chooses the most convenient option for themselves, and there are many opportunities to combine classics and technology. These are the advantages of paper gliders that have become decisive for me personally. What matters to you when choosing a diary?